[Kde-games-devel] KScoreDialog usability related question

Burkhard Lehner Burkhard.Lehner at gmx.de
Tue Jun 12 19:15:05 CEST 2007

Hi,

Here my spontaneous ideas about this questions.

2007/6/12, Dmitry Suzdalev <dimsuz at gmail.com>:

> It's all about popups. When I (as a game player) finish a level and I
> suddenly
> see some dialog (KScoreDialog) appear, it confuses me. Moreover, I need to
> enter my name, and press OK, or just hit Cancel. What if I just want to
> continue playing, without taking all these actions?

Two solutions come into my mind.

A) The player could be asked for his name (and the permission to record his
highscores) on game start. This only has to happen on the first start of the
game, and could be stored within the rc-file. There could also be a "global"
setting for this, so the player just sets this for one game, and all other
games adapt this setting. Changing this setting could be made available in a
config dialog, maybe in "View Highscores". Or the way websites like Amazon
do it: "Hello again, George W. Bush. If you are not George W. Bush, or want
to change your highscore settings, please click here." as a line on top of
the main window.

B) The highscore popup could have the checkbox "Do not show this dialog
again". After the first time you enter your name, and check the box, you
will automatically be added to the highscores in the future. Of course it is
important that the player may also want to choose NOT to be added to the
highscore at all, also in the future. I'm not sure how to clarify that best.
(Maybe buttons like "Never add me to high scores", and "Always add me to
high scores automatically"?

Just two ideas, maybe there are some better ideas out there?

Cheers,
Burkhard