[Kde-games-devel] KScoreDialog usability related question

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 18:51:42 CEST 2007

Hi fellows!

While we are discussing usability related things (I mean Paolo's thread), let
me share some of my thoughts about KScoreDialog and our highscore system in
general.

Well, yestertday I suddenly found what confuses me in KScoreDialog (before
that I had only slight "feeling" that something is wrong, yesterday it formed
into writable sentence in my mind :))

It's all about popups. When I (as a game player) finish a level and I suddenly
see some dialog (KScoreDialog) appear, it confuses me. Moreover, I need to
enter my name, and press OK, or just hit Cancel. What if I just want to
continue playing, without taking all these actions?

In KAtomic this gets even worse - each level has it's own highscore and I see
highscore dialog popping up after every level. Rude. The option is not to
show this dialog after every level, but then the other question arises - how
and when should the game ask the player for name to put in the Higscore
table?

This may not be a problem of KScoreDialog itself, in the end it is the
particular game which implements its showing. But I'm writing this because I
think we should agree on some general rules of KScoreDialog usage.

Personally I'd like it not to be shown automatically, but rather there should
be some kind of "You have a new highscore" message somewhere in the game. And
if the user wants to see his/her highscore he should do it explicitly by
invoking "View Highscores" action. But the question about when and how he/she
should enter the name remains.

Perhaps someone has better idea(s)?
Or my thoughts just sound wrong to you? :)
Well, perhaps it is only me, who is slightly annoyed by KScoreDialog
popups :).

What do usablility people think about this? Would be interesting to know :)

Cheers,
Dmitry.