[Kde-games-devel] Saving overheads when resizing SVG

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 5 05:32:52 CEST 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007, Ian Wadham wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 08:46 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 June 2007, Ian Wadham wrote:
> > with the inclusion of the check for Qt::WA_PendingResizeEvent, KAtomic
> > only resizes once.
>
> Dmitry's problem is that if he does maximize, quit and relaunch with
> KAtomic, the central widget does not resize at all after the relaunch and
> looks yuk. In that particular case, KAtomic gets only one resize event form
> the startup of main window, which KAtomic ignores because it is a "pending"
> event.

yes, this is a bug somewhere in KWindowSystem and/or NET::*. everything in
kmainwindow, xmlguiwindow and katomic is fine (i did a bunch of tracing
through those code paths. such fun, really ;)

> > > Another point is that neither KDE3.5 nor KDE4 main window remembers the
> > > "restore" size after you quit when maximized.
> >
> > yes, it would be nice to save and restore this information as well; it
> > would also be nice if restoring maximized windows worked at all in kde4
> > ;) it seems to be broken right now. kmainwindow is doing the right thing,
> > but KWindowSystem/NET::WindowInfo is failing us... i'll talk to lubos
> > about these issues.
>
> This is great :-) ... however ... :-(
>
> IMHO the double resize in KDE4 main window startup is the main
> problem and could affect every KDE4 application that has a large
> amount of rendering or painting to do when it starts up.

agreed.

> I checked back with KDE3 (3.4.2 specifically) and it triggers just *one*
> resize event when the main window starts up.  So I think this double
> resize in KDE4 is a *bug*.  Could you ask lubos about it, Aaron?

i don't think that part is a fault of lubos' code. it may also not be in kde
but in qt. i need to get the maximized window bug fixed first before i can
productively do more tracking down of the issues though. too many variables
atm.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se