[Kde-games-devel] Usability review and advice for kdegames

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Tue Jul 24 21:47:47 CEST 2007

Hi. We are at a point at the kdegames module where we can use some
advice from the KDE usability experts, before a final review is
conducted during the beta. Most specifically, we need advice on the
roles of the toolbar and statusbar, and how to deal with in-game widgets.

I prepared some screenshots with examples of current KDE4-alpha games to
help this discussion, as I know not everyone has a recent build of
kdegames available to test.

The first question is related to the roles of the statusBar and the main
toolbar. Members of our project have different opinions about these
standard interface elements and how they can be used more effectively
for games. I researched this a bit, using wiki.usability.org:

http://wiki.openusability.org/guidelines/index.php/Guidelines:Status_Bar#Providing_Actions_in_the_Status_Bar

And even the Gnome HIG:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/controls-status-bars.html

The most complete information I found about this was in the HIG docs at
developer.kde.org.
Maybe it is outdated, not sure. Starting at

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/

It has some definitions about common usage of the statusBar to display
state information about the document being worked on, and including
somethings we do not do, such as using the first field at a fixed width,
and letting the others spawn the reminder of the length.

With this introduction in mind, let ,e organize the remaining of this
post a bit :)

A) Basically, the main question I have is this: what kinds of
information and controls (as related to games) are appropriate for the
statusBar? And what widgets should reside in the toolbar instead?

We also need concrete advice on how to deal with some practical issues,
and if what we are doing is compliant with the greater vision for KDE 4.
These issues are:

B) The specific widget that prompted this discussion is a new addition
to games in KDE4: a specific way to configure game difficulty that will
probably be used by almost all games in our module. The first question
is: where to put it? In its current form it is fixed at the right side
of the statusBar, and added as a permanent widget. You can see it here:

http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/usabilityreview/usability1.png

It fits nicely. However, KGameDifficulty is also an action that appears
in the menu, and the widget is actually a comboBox that lets the user
change the difficulty level. See it:

http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/usabilityreview/usability2.png

When this happens, the game must be restarted, so a confirmation dialog
box is spawned:

http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/usabilityreview/usability4.png

According to some informal testing conducted by some developers,
children found it easier to change the game difficulty when it is hosted
in the statusBar in this way, making it more intuitive for them compared
for example with a toolbar or menubar item.

However, I personally feel that this sort of action really belongs in
the menus (as it is now) and in the toolbar. The rationale for this is
that I understand the statusBar as a place that reflects the status of
the application/document, and in the case of games this can be points,
time or number of pieces removed. So for me it is a place for
communication from the application to the player about its internal
status, while the menu/toolbar/content area are the places for the user
to act on the content and modify it.

Here is another screenshot of a game (KBlackbox) using KGameDifficulty:

http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/usabilityreview/usability6.png

It looks nice, and the combo box to select difficulty probably looks
better in the status bar compared to what it would look if it were
placed in the toolbar. Is this location a problem as far as the KDE4 HIG
is concerned?

C) If we decide that it is OK to have the widget in the statusBar, there
is another factor. Currently it is always present there, and the
KGameDifficulty action (present in the menu) can not be added to the
toolbar as well. I assume this is OK in cases like this? Of would it be
better to have it in the toolbar and under complete control of the user,
so it could be customized using the existing toolbar customization
facilities? The statusbar is more difficult to customize right now, at
least as far as the user is concerned. But this is not a major problem.

D) As an example of information that was probably not put in the optimal
position, in KMahjongg for KDE3 we had the game time displayed in the
toolbar:

http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/usabilityreview/kmahjongg3.png

This did not make a lot of sense, so in KDE4 it is moved to the status
bar. The same was done in other applications. Is this a correct move as
far as usability is concerned? Notice that this is exactly the kind of
advice we need, as we are trying to achieve consistency when possible,
given the different needs of each game.

E) Some games are experimenting with different methods for communicating
critical information to the player. We feel that the statusBar should be
really optional, and some users may choose to hide it. So information
like GAME OVER and others need to be displayed using a different method,
while previously the statusBar was used for some of these messages, and
the player never saw them. The same applies to some prompts for user
action: we want to avoid modal dialog boxes, and instead move to in-game
messages. Some examples:

http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/usabilityreview/usability7.png

http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/usabilityreview/usability8.png

http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/usabilityreview/usability9.png

Two of these screenshots are using a new class in kde games, called
KGamePopupItem. It does not get in the face of the player as much as a
modal dialog box, and is dismissed automatically after a number of
seconds. Is there any usability feedback concerning this method of
displaying information in-game? Are we in the right direction?

I think this is all for now, to start the conversation :) The games team
will be glad to receive any feedback about these issues! We really want
to make the controls for common game options like choosing difficulty
and visualizing highscores more standard, and expert usability feedback
is crucial for us to get it right.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini