[Kde-games-devel] scripting languages

Paolo Capriotti p.capriotti at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:46:49 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 05:42:12 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all =)
>
> just read Paolo's very nice blog entry about the progress made in kboard:
>
> 	http://pcapriotti.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/kboard-an-update/
>
> in it, Paolo notes that it is using Lua for scripting. out of curiosity ...
> why Lua? i know it's popular among certain online games, but other than
> that ... =)

Hi Aaron,
when we started playing with the theme engine, Kross was part of KOffice and I
remember that I had troubles figuring out how to compile it separately.
At the time, there was no such trend of using Javascript throughout KDE for
scripting, al least, I did not notice it. I remember that Kate had tried both
Lua and Javascript (and eventually decided for Javascript) and that Amarok
used (still uses?) ruby.
Having one language for scripting in the whole of KDE is certainly a good
thing, but I must say that making a transition to Kross (which for us would
probably also mean extending Kross to support Lua, since we already have a
lot of Lua code) is not a top priority at the moment for us.
While we're at it, can you point me to the projects that are now using Kross /
QtScript? I know about Plasma, but... how much of the scripting framework for
it has been done?

Paolo