[Kde-games-devel] KMines SVG

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 13 01:06:35 CET 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 05:42 am, Nicolas Roffet wrote:
> Without it, how would a player *obviously* see that the game is over?

Maybe we could have a controlled detonation of all the mines in rapid
succession ... which I imagine might be what happens in real life.

> This is a general problem. Not only for KMines but for other games also.
> ... <snip> ...
> I'm facing the same problem with the game I'm maintaining KBlackBox: In
> the current implementation, a dialog is being displayed at the end of the
> game: "You did quite well / You need some more practice"... I don't like
> this, I don't find it really user friendly. I would like to avoid to have
> to display a dialog. But what can I do? Any suggestions?

This came up briefly in discussion a few months back, just after we
had the on-line survey.  The consensus then was that games should
fit in with the general desktop style, especially because survey responses
indicated that most people wanted short games they could play in a
spare moment on the desktop.  I guess that rules out a game-ending
that is visible to the boss from across the office ... ;-)

Nevertheless, I am all in favour of *something* special happening
at the end of a game.  Somehow a KMessageBox doesn't quite cut
it, even if it has HTML enhancements.  I particularly enjoy the way
the cards mess up and fly off the screen when you get a Solitaire
game out in the KDE 4 version (Klondike).

> Something like a small picture (or better animation) of Konqi smiling and
> feeling happy if the player wins or sad and crying if he loses? Personally,
> I would like something like this, but what do you thing of this suggestion?

IMO that would be a good general solution.  Several games could use it.
I really like the crescent moon with sleeping Konqui which comes up
when you shut down KDE 3.

My worst ending (so bad it was good again) was in a game called "Flood",
on Commodore Amiga.  After battling through about 30 levels of maze-like
sewers, collecting garbage and avoiding death by drowning, the frog-like
hero climbs through a manhole into the street above ... and is squashed
flat by a passing car ... :-(

All the best, Ian W.