[Kde-games-devel] KMines SVG

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Sat Feb 10 15:07:37 CET 2007

Mark A. Taff wrote:
> I think I pretty much have the tiles licked.  I've added numbers as well, and
> have begun work on laying out basic shapes for the border.
>
> There are many mini-boards to illustrate the pieces in action.
>
> Still TODO:
>
> Finish borders.
> Implement Multi-Segment display (probably 11 segment) for score and timer.
> Create wallpaper(s) for background of main widget.
>
> Comments?

Looking great as far as I am concerned. I am going to comment on a two
points that could be improved/changed imho.

a) Shadows in all elements/numbers/smiley. I see that you used the
Oxygen shadow for these elements, It is more visible at closer
inspection and larger board sizes. To me, this is not really necessary,
I believe we have discussed this already in IRC (talking about Katomic,
where you can see the same issue in the arrows when you click on an atom
to move it.)
The shadows are perfect for the Oxygen icon theme. For game elements
they do not look as good or necessary (to me), specially under the
numerals. I believe you could/should keep the shadow in the flag and
mine elements perhaps, but it could probably be removed from the
numerals and the smiley.

b) Mine icon. I am not sure about which one to use, it is nice that you
  have included two. But to be honest I like the one in classic better,
with spikes on all sides, even if it does not look like a real one. I
think I prefer the classic one mostly because it kind of matches the
look we are used to on most Mine sweeper games (Vista, Gnome, KDE3...)
But this is just my opinion, the spiked one you added looks ok as well,
and we only see the mines when everything is over anyway! What do you
think of this?

I will probably use your .svgz soon in the SVN version, and then we will
start to explore the configuration options and how to best expose these
to the user. But I liked your approach of setting a background tint
value, and we should probably find a way to expose this as an in-game
configuration option.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini