[Kde-games-devel] KMines SVG

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 04:08:35 CET 2007

On 2/8/07, Mauricio Piacentini <mauricio at tabuleiro.com> wrote:

> It looks nice, specially the smiley.
>
> Also, the smiley is currently a button that also restarts the game. This
> needs to be considered, or we can think about changing this behavior.

Hello all,

Maybe I'm alone on this, and if I am then we can pretend I never
mentioned it, but can't we get rid of the smiley face? It strikes me
as out of place and very tacky, even when beautifully rendered in
vector graphics.

Obviously it's a carry-over from the classic Windows version and most
of us have been seeing it for years, so it no longer strikes us as
being that odd, but really I can't come up with a single logical
reason for it being there. Happy faces have no logical connection to
the act of uncovering hidden mines. Most of the information it
(vaguely) conveys should be readily available elsewhere. There are
also serious usability issues with an unlabeled button that can
restart the game at anytime without even asking for a confirmation.

And does it really need to act so surprised/scared/singing every time
I uncover a cell or mark a mine? I know what I'm doing! I've been
playing minesweeper for years! It'll be okay. :)

Microsoft probably added the smiley face because for a game,
minesweeper isn't very visually appealing. Maybe they thought a
sometimes sunglasses wearing smiley face would really up the fun
factor of the game. But now it just seems dated. Heck, even Microsoft
decided to get rid of it in Vista.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Minesweeper_Vista.png)

Parker