[Kde-games-devel] KMines SVG

Mark A. Taff marktaff at comcast.net
Thu Feb 8 21:03:43 CET 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 10:21:10 Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Hi, guys. Due to peer pressure :), I have just committed the initial
> implementation of SVG theme loading in KMines.

You flatter me by calling me a peer. ;-)

> Dirk wrote:
> > I like it, but I think in case of KMines it's important to keep
> > something "classic". Although different themes may be overhead.
>
> I agree with Dirk here. The initial theme I checked in is just the SVG
> version of the current KDE3 implementation, see a ref (PNG) showing
> current elements (including those drawn by code) and the SVG elements
> that will replace them at
>
> http://www.tabuleiro.com/mauricio/ref_kmines.png

Cool.  I like the "classic" svg implementation you made.  I have some ideas
for an "oxygen" version as well that I'll hack on.

> Only the main components are currently customizable. I am still
> undecided about text and fonts, as the current code uses the system
> default, which appears to be the right thing to do. The status/score
> widgets are not customizable right now.
>
> The SVG is available in KDE SVN if people want to start playing with it.
>   Some more elements will be required (outer field frame, background,
> score areas) and I will add them when the code is ready for it.
>
> Johann wrote:
> >> What do you think about something like that (made in few minutes, just
> >> to see)??
> >>
> >> http://johann.pwsp.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/kmine-test.png

Since we will have an svg version of the classic look of kmines, I think we
have some creative flexibility in making other themes, such as Johann
proposes (and hopefully the code will support that in the near term).

> It looks nice, specially the smiley. However, I believe the clickable
> areas need to have some depth, in order to differentiate between clicked
>   (cleared) and non-explored areas.
> Also, the smiley is currently a button that also restarts the game. This
> needs to be considered, or we can think about changing this behavior.
> Regarding the timer, I am all for removing the current KGameLCD
> implementations, but this needs to be worked in code before I can
> implement it in art.
> I am not certain about the background. It looks great on this particular
> mockup and proportions, but KMines can have different board sizes and
> dimensions, so we would need to find something that works always.
>
> Also, I (or someone) need to implement the code for displaying the
> background. And not only for displaying, but specially for configuring
> it, loading a theme, etc. Code hacking is also needed in order for the
> current status/score widgets and central field frame to be customizable.
>
> I am raising these points because I believe we are getting slightly
> ahead of the current state of the game code. Do not read me wrong, I am
> all for prototyping, but someone needs to actually implement the design,
> make sure nothing breaks ,and emulation of the classic look is possible.
> I am planning to do this, but with no pressure. :)

I will keep an eye on the code.  There are some things I feel competent
coding.

> Ian wrote:
>  >Couldn't open the .svgz file properly (broken image), but it looks
>  >as if you are getting somewhere, judging from your notes.  It really
>  >is vital that you make contact with Mauricio before going much
>  >further, if you have not already done so.
>
> I could not view the SVG file posted by Matt. Inkscape does not include
> the referenced local PNGs when you save the file, this has bitten me
> before as well. That is why I posted a screenshot of the SVG file
> previously in this message.

Ooops.  Lesson learned.  From now on I'll link to screenshots.

> But Matt, you can now get the kmines_classic.svgz file from KDE SVN, and
> maybe develop an alternative version for KDE4. As I mentioned before,
> some interface elements are not (yet) customizable, but the basic ones
> are there, smileys, bombs, cells. Feel free to experiment with it. And
> as an added bonus you can simply save over your installed KDE4 copy of
> the theme file and preview the results in-game, as the code commited
> today is already using it.

Will do.

For the record, I live in Seattle, and am a night owl.

Regards,

Mark