[Kde-games-devel] SVGization

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 8 01:36:17 CET 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 02:01 am, Johann Ollivier Lapeyre wrote:
> 2007/2/7, Mauricio Piacentini <mauricio at tabuleiro.com>:
> > Hey, nice post, Johann!
Yes indeed! :-)  And thanks very much for your work on KGoldrunner.
I like your steely-looking ladders and bars.  The ladders look particularly
nice on Initiation, level 93, "Are you spider or fly?", which resembles a
spider's web.

> And something like 30 wallpapers. This is huge yes.

This may be heresy, but I have been playing with the idea of using actual
photos as wallpapers or backdrops for KGr: things that have a fairly even
and subdued colour balance and not much perspective, such as a rain
forest, cliff face. waterfall, cloudscape or astronomy picture.  Any thoughts?
Such things scale very well from .png files.

> > BTW, I am not sure from your post if you are working on KGoldRunner
> > at this time.
> Only the severals elements, not the runner itself. I'd like to place in a
> sort of universe. Maybe "inside a computer". The magical wall could be
> software which fix itself, i don't know.

Sounds great ... :-)  Could we fit Konqui and the knights inside
there Mauricio?

Would you like me to code up something that would make it easy for you
to add a new SVG file without having to change any KGr programs?

Also I have a quick half-done mod that makes KGr scalable in steps of
1 pixel per grid-cell, rather than the present 4-pixel steps.  That causes
jumps of just a few millimetres in the size of the play-area.  Should I
finish that and commit it or are we looking for even smoother scaling,
such as 1 pixel steps for the whole play-area?

Johann, I sent Mauricio some notes, a kind of mini-spec, re KGr
graphics, which you might find helpful.  Would you like a copy?

> > But maybe I should commit my drafts anyway, so people
> > can improve them?

Yes, please, Mauricio!  But especially so people can *see* them.

> Better to commit really temporary stuff (a stick figure), perhaps?

I was going to commit just floating lights that pulsate as they run but
have no arms and legs ... ;-) ... just as a start by a non-artist ... :-)

Keep up the excellent work, guys!  All the best, Ian W.