[Kde-games-devel] documentation error in kshisen?

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Fri Feb 2 03:10:29 CET 2007

Henrique Pinto wrote:
> I don't know if that's what happens in this case, but I know that for many
> patience games it is actually desirable to allow unsolvable games. It's
> pretty hard to decide whether a game is solvable or not, so the game
> generators for generating only solvable games

Nice point. In the case of KMahjongg and KShisen specifically I do not
think this is the case, but it is something to have in mind, surely.

Dave Corrie wrote:
 > I completely agree that the option is somewhat ridiculous and it
ought to be removed. I'll get round to doing that for KDE4 soon.

Actually I think this case is minor, and does not hurt that much.

There are several options in other apps that are much more troublesome
than this, at least for me. Case in point is KMines. Launch it, and
examine the MOVE menu. Now try to think as a non-programmer, maybe my
mother playing the game.

"Solving rate? What is that? Select SOLVE. What is that? The computer
solved the board for me? But... well, look at VIEW LOG. What the h...
Well, the computer (not the user!) seems to be having a lot of fun.
Clever programmers! Hey, there is even Load log and Replay log to let it
have MORE FUN! How about me?"

Of course, these actions hook up with the nice solver code, included in
the code. It is a nice object of study for programmers and students in
source code form, but having these actions in the game make no sense at
all, at least to me. I am not advocating that we get rid of absolutely
all configuration option (look at the Gnome version of Mines as a
comparison), but don't you guys agree that these particular game actions
is irrelevant to the user?

Regards,
Mauricio