[Kde-games-devel] Module policy for kdegames4

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Thu Feb 1 22:04:51 CET 2007

I mainly agree with all issues commented by Ian, with the exception of:

>> 1. In KDE Games, Game->New means a new round of the same game
>> and there is often another menu item to choose a game with different
>> parameters or rules (see Solitaire, KMahjongg, KShisen).  It is irritating
>> to have the dialog box come up every time you hit New.
>
> I wasn't aware of that policy, it makes sense though. I'll sort that out.

I was actually trying to implement a different behavior in KMahjongg,
where choosing NEW GAME would display a selection of different board
layouts to the user. I have watched some people play and some do no
"get" the scheme of having to choose a layout as a game configuration
option. But I see that the issue is a bit different compared with
KSquares, as each layout in KMahjongg can really be considered a
different "game", depending on how you view it. Almost all mahjongg
solitaire titles (including the old Shanghai and the new MS Vista
implementation) also behave in a similar way.
But the solution I was considering was to have two options: NEW GAME,
which would display a dialog box letting you choose a layout, with the
last played one selected by default, and NEW QUICK GAME, which would
simply start a new game using the current layout. For KMahjongg this
makes more sense, as the real configuration options would then be in the
Configure KMahjongg menu item, including tile/background selection and
general properties.
What do you think of this, Ian? Or maybe it is something that has to be
implemented and tested...

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini