[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner problem in Windows

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Fri Dec 21 02:46:31 CET 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
>> I think we should attempt to have a number of configs to test before the
>> final 4.0 tagging, including if possible Win and OSX. These can help us
>
> i appreciate you "get it done" attitue =) ...
>
> i'd personally like to see people from the win/mac community be enticed and
> recruited to help out, though. grow the number of fishermen rather than
> spread the existing tallent even thinner... question is how to do that, of
> course. i think this will be a challenge for many projects.

Yes, I agree with you here. After spending in total close to 8 hours
today trying to setup a working KDE-on-Windows-with-MSVC configuration,
of course :)
That is the second time I attempt this, the first one was back in
August, with the same results. Now I actually got farther down the road,
and even got kde4moc to compile, just to see it crashing spectacularly
at first launch. For those that want details, here are two methods to
setup: one is explained in kdelibs (and is not working for me), the
other is using an emerge-like system, which I also tried after the first
one failed, and also got stuck with errors. I realize I can probably
succeed in my third attempt, if I use gcc/cygwin. But my time budgeted
for this experiment is over.
This experience just increased my respect for the guys that are battling
this Windows front, as there are multiple variables to be considered:
MSVC or cygwin? MSVC 2003 vs 2005 vs express? Platform SDKs versions? I
am sure there is a way to get it working, but for now I decided (or was
reminded of my previous decision by greater forces) to focus on the
tasks I already have at hand.  So back to kdegames pt_BR translation for
me, that is my last hurdle before 4.0 tagging.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini