[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner problem in Windows

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Dec 19 23:40:29 CET 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:00 am, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> According to Patrick from the KDE 4 Windows team, KGoldrunner still does
> not work on that platform. I saw this during the kde-edu meeting. We
> tried to disable the code that delays rendering when there are resizing
> events, but according to Patrick the problem continues. What happens is
> that the game runs, but runners are not visible. The background renders.
> Does someone here have a KDE4-Windows environment to test on?

I am sorry to hear this, but it is not unexpected.  How much of the
background shows?  For example, in the Egypt theme, just the temple?
Or also the stones, ladders, bars and jewels?

Not unexpected, why?  Because QTimer limitations in Windows have always
worried me.  KGr sets all sorts of fancy and precise QTimers and intervals,
one per runner at least, and the granularity (or lack of) of Windows clocks
would probably not support them.  See the disclaimer in the QTimer class
doco entry.

Nevertheless, I would expect *some* runners to appear, even if they failed
to move correctly.  Odd ... maybe there is something in KGameCanvas
sprites that Windows does not support ...

If this becomes a showstopper, maybe you should withdraw KGoldrunner
from Windows distributions of KDE 4.0.

All the best, Ian W.