[Kde-games-devel] UsingKPixmapCacheforlskat/kpat

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:13:58 CET 2007

Il Wednesday 05 December 2007 00:08:39 Andreas Pakulat ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I fixed the problem that kpat didn't pre-select the card deck properly
> in the card selection dialog.
>
> While doing that I also wanted to fix the problem that kpat doesn't
> allow to choose a different backside. Unfortunately that currently means
> duplicating the cache a bit, else kpat might load an already existing
> backside from the cache.
>
> But I also noticed that both card games use their own version of a
> pixmap cache.
>
> KDE libs have KPixmapCache since this summer which is provided exactly
> for these use-cases and AFAIK does cache the pixmaps across application
> starts. It can even do the loading of the svg in the proper size.
>
> As its pretty late in the release cycle by now, I have two questions:
>
> a) Does it make sense to start to move to KPixmapCache now and along the
> way let kpat also select the backside
>
> b) if a) is too risky I'll defer the KPixmapCache stuff to 4.1, but is
> it ok if I change kpat to still allow to select the backside? This would
> introduce a second renderer and a second cache-dir for the
> svg-backsides. And it might break peoples existing "setup", as the
> backside will then default to the Oxygen (SVG) one (due to introducing a
> new config key for that).
>
> Andreas

I think now it is not the time to make this kind of changes.
Only fixes for very serious bugs should be allowed from now on, until the 4.0
release, I think.

Let's fix these (minor) problems properly for KDE4.1. There are lots of things
that can be improved, and that I wish I had done in time for KDE4.0, but
that's life. KDE 4.1 will be better.

Luciano