[Kde-games-devel] KGoldunner startup and New Game changes

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 04:20:29 CEST 2007

On 8/19/07, Ian Wadham <ianw2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Scroll bars are not very intuitive either, but they would be familiar to most
> users through W/P, browsers and email.

Hello Ian,

Sorry. My previous email was a bit terse. I didn't explain myself well.

When I said a slider would be more intuitive, I meant intuitive based
on previous computer experience, not real world experience. Users are
indeed familiar with scrollbars, but all their previous experience
(including the cases you mention) leads them to believe that
scrollbars are used to pan spatially with a widget, not to select
items from a list.

When I first saw the scrollbar, I assumed the dialog wasn't big enough
to show everything, so I resize it, but the scrollbar remained. Only
after using the scrollbar did I discover that it was used to select a
starting level.

I'll certainly admit that (once I figured out what was going on) the
scrollbar was easy to use. But deep down inside me a little voice is
screaming, "This is wrong! You're not scrolling! You're selecting!"
But, if I'm the only one who feels this way, then I guess I'll have to
live with it.

In the end, it's your game and your decision.

Parker

PS: I would also recommend that you replace the level QLineEdit with a
QSpinBox since it has its own validator that automatically prevents
the user from entering non-numeric characters or out-of-range numbers.
It also adds increment/decrement buttons