[Kde-games-devel] KGoldunner startup and New Game changes

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 20 01:49:18 CEST 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 04:48 am, Parker Coates wrote:
> Why use a scroll bar for level selection? Wouldn't a slider be more
> intuitive?

Dunno. But I think the scroll bar offers both finer and broader control for
selecting from the numbers of levels involved (e.g. 15 to 100, and one game
of 180 levels in the works).  What's intuitive about a slider, unless you are
a science or audio enthusiast?  Also I find slider handles small and fiddly
to use with the mouse.  Scroll bars are not very intuitive either, but they
would be familiar to most users through W/P, browsers and email.  See
also the following from the Qt 4.3 doco ...

"Note that although QSlider handles very large numbers, it becomes difficult
for users to use a slider accurately for very large ranges."

"Note that although QScrollBar handles very large numbers, scroll bars on
current screens cannot usefully represent ranges above about
100,000 pixels. Beyond that, it becomes difficult for the user to control the
slider using either the keyboard or the mouse, and the scroll arrows will
have limited use."

Cheers, Ian W.