[Kde-games-devel] Test concept proposal

Martin Heni kde at heni-online.de
Wed Aug 15 09:27:40 CEST 2007

On the IRC meeting we discussed the necessity of testing the games before
release. I wrote down some ideas because I think it is important that we
deliver a stable and playable set of games with KDE 4.0. What you think?

KDEGAMES release test concept:

Each game should be tested for some key issues to guarantee a minimum level
of playability. Testing shouldn't be exaggerated but asure a nice playable
game.

The tests should be done by someone else but the author of the game. Either
there are volunteers or the maintainers cross-test the other games. A tester
is  assigned to a game [and mentioned in the credits;-)]. The tester should
report back to the package mainainer. The maintainer can then decide  whether
the game is fit for release.

A initial testing should be performed in time (at least a month before the KDE
release) so that there is enough time to fix problems. The test can start
when  the maintainer of the game indicates it is ready for this. A final test
needs to be performed once the game is frozen, that is, briefly before the
KDE release.

  A test should follow a checklist. Some items to check for might be:
    - Overall
      * No crashes
      * Does the game install and play from the installation directory
    - Graphics
       * Graphics clear cut and readable
       * Do the themes work
    - Menues
       * Do all menus work/do something
       * Are crucial menu items missing
       * Are the menus in the right place
    - Playability
       * Does input work as expected
    - User manual
       * Manual reasonable up to date?
    - AI
      * Does the AI work
    ...  (and more) ...
    The resuls of the tests should be written down somewhere.