[Kde-games-devel] KScoreDialog usability issue

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 13 03:23:04 CEST 2007

I've been revisiting the use of KScoreDialog in KGoldrunner and
other games and I find that sometimes it fails to save your high
score.  In KGr this can be quite a serious issue, because you might
have spent a long time conquering various levels and building your
high score and you do not want to lose all that.

When you achieve a high score, you are presented with a form
and a box to fill in your name.  If you enter something then tab
and close the form, which is the way a lot of forms work, your
high score mysteriously disappears and is never seen again.

It looks as though the only way to save your score is to hit the
"right" key, which appears to be Enter/Return.  It took me a while to
guess this.  Actually I think I had to read the code of KScoreDialog.

I would suggest that KScoreDialog should *always* save new high
scores when you close the form, no matter how you got to that point
and even if you do not enter a name.  The alternative, if someone
really does *not* want to save the new high score, is to have a
Cancel button, but I think that should not be necessary in this case.

All the best, Ian W.