[Kde-games-devel] kgoldrunner ported to KScoreDialog

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Aug 9 15:28:13 CEST 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 10:41 pm, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> May I jump in with a little offtopic?  Firstly I wonder is this a bug
> that when enemy falls into a hole, sometimes hero dies if he runs
> above hole-with-enemy even if the enemy was *just* catched. I
> understand that death should happen if enemy starts to get out of
> the hole, but should it happen when he still sits there?

Errmm, you should have started a new thread ... ;-) but anyway, no,
it's not a bug.  If you step down onto an enemy you die, even if he
is in a hole.  In mouse mode, this happens if you have the pointer
just a little below the horizontal line ... so keep it high ... :-)

> Second: why is there a noticable lag before hero respawn? Is this
> intentional?

Yes, 1.5 sec, so you can see how you died, before starting again.
This will probably be removed when we have finished tuning Luciano's
fade-out/fade-in animation.  That sequence is based on how it was in
the original game (on Apple II anyway).

> Suppose I lost the game at level 7. And I want to play more. Guess,
> what I'm going to do?
> yes! I want to instantly start playing level 7 again ... <snip>
> So I ask you, allmighty KGr maintainers: is it possible to simplify
> this procedure?

It's on my gameplay improvements list.  For now, you can save the
game when you are down to one life or (what I do) you can click
"Start at any level" when you have one life left and the dialog puts
you back to 5 lives in the same game and level.

> Ah! One more thing to tell you: earlier I didn't played KGr much, but
> now I must say I really enjoy it! I remember when I was smaller, I
> played "Load runner" on my shiny (well, actually it wasn't very shiny)
> ZX spectrum and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it :-)
> So the fourth thing to say is "KGr is Great!" :-)

Well thanks, Dmitry.  I'm happy to be of service.  My children and I
enjoyed it so much on our Apple II that I decided one day to recreate
it and here I am, with the help of Marco Krueger, the original author,
and all the KDE Games team of this year and earlier years ... :-) :-) :-)

All the best to you all, Ian W.