[Kde-games-devel] kgoldrunner ported to KScoreDialog

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Aug 9 07:33:44 CEST 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 07:46 pm, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Ok, the conversion to KScoreDialog was really trivial.

Thanks very much for doing this, Luciano.

> However there are some issues that need to be discussed, I think.
> What's good is that:
> - A chunk of code can be dropped from kgoldrunner
:-( ... that's *automatically* good ??? ... ;-)

> - The KScoreDialog looks slightly better than the original dialog
I am not convinced (see attached).  Yes, I used a fixed-pitch font, but
now that I know how to do a table and control column-widths, I was
going to make the font variable pitch etc. (I wrote this stuff a long time
ago, perhaps before there was anything similar in libkdegames).

> - The high score for all the games can be examined when opening the
>   dialog from the file menu.
>
> What still need some work is:
>
> - The KScoreDialog has an "OK" and a "Cancel" button.
>   One (or both) could be removed.
> - I used the game set prefix for the configuration group. The tab name uses
>   the same three letter group to identify the score group. Not very user
>   friendly. It should show a localized string, instead.
> - The original dialog had a big writing "KGoldrunner Hall of Fame",
>   followed by the level set name written with smaller letters. It would
>   be nice to be able to preserve this.
> - The dialog is still a bit plain for the use with games. Maybe the game
> icon could be included along with a customizable label at the top of the
> dialog to improve the look a little bit. At least, until we rewrite the
> high score system.

AND, the real killer, I have lost all of my existing high score data (see
attached) and all of the "seed" highscore data, in the gamedata/ dir, which
are real highscores, intended as a challenge to new players.

I don't expect KScoreDialog to be able to import arbitrary formats, but
I *would* like to be able to port KGr highscore data between KDE versions,
say as a new feature in KDE 4.1.  Is the KScoreDialog data format a) public?
and b) guaranteed stable between KDE versions?

> I'll commit the changes soon; for now, I'm not going to remove the old code
> from the game; it can still be used by undefining the USE_KSCOREDIALOG
> macro in kgrgame.cpp

Thanks for preserving that, Luciano.  If nobody minds, I think I will go back
to the old code and sit out this dance until KScoredialog is a bit more mature
and stable ...  Besides, we have a string freeze coming up soon and there is
lots to do in KGr's dialogs, UI, doco, hints and messages.

All the best, Ian W.