[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 7 01:11:30 CEST 2007

Hey Luciano!

Welcome back!  Did you have a good trip?

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 05:55 pm, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> How slow is it? If you start kgoldrunner from the command line, it writes
> one line each time one frame of the animation is drawn. How many frames
> does it draw?

I didn't want to tell you this before you went away but the level-change
animation (fade out - fade in) is very slow for me.  That's because I have
a graphics card but it is not enabled in Linux.  However that has not been
any disadvantage up till now (my CPU is a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4).

I am getting just 2 or 3 frames on the fade out and about the same on the
fade in.  I have put a timer into the messages and the frames are taking
about 0.5 sec to paint, after control goes back to the event loop.  It's sad
really ... that particular animation used to be really smooth on the Apple II.

I've figured out (finally) how to draw a black rectangle with a transparent
circular hole in it, but it seems to take nearly as long to draw that, save it
as a pixmap and get KGameCanvas to paint it on top of the play area.
Due to other work and lack of time, I have not investigated further.

BTW, I think 10 msec timeline interval is too short and would not work in
Windows with any hardware.  There's a warning in Qt doco about that.

All the best, Ian W.