[Kde-games-devel] Player list

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Fri Apr 13 10:34:46 CEST 2007

Here's a task if anyone feels bored, involving some artwork and usability
review, but mostly just figuring things out.

We had a fairly big meeting yesterday with a few players and gaming club
leaders about improvements needed in online game software. They mostly talked
about the Java client of GGZ, since that's the only one they know, but to
give them more incentives to move to desktop clients a lot of the
improvements also apply to KDE.

The log of the meeting is here:
http://games.ggzcommunity.org/meetings/ttt_meeting.txt
As you can see it wasn't always easy to keep them talking about technical
problems since there are also (confirming my latest blog entry) many social
problems we can't do anything about.

What is really needed to get a better core client working is a set of decent
complex widgets. As a start, I want to improve the "player list" widget,
which lists all players participating in an online game. New features not yet
found in our current lists are find-by-type searching and grouping:
- don't group at all (flat list)
- group by relationships (friends, foes/ignored players, others)
- group by privileges (admins, hosts, normal players, guests, bots)

The initial source code (Qt4 model-view based) is at
playground/ggz-kde4/playerlist in GGZ SVN.
Screenshot is at:
http://www.ggzgamingzone.org/~josef/playerlist.png

If anyone feels obliged about getting online gaming forward, please consider
helping out.

Josef