[Kde-games-devel] Status of games in SVN

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Tue Apr 10 21:36:56 CEST 2007

Le mardi 10 avril 2007, Mauricio Piacentini a écrit :
> Kleag wrote:
> > Le mardi 10 avril 2007, Mauricio Piacentini a écrit :
> >> Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> >> not following the guidelines we established for KDE4, maybe it should be
> >> moved to playground until it is adopted and brought up to the level of
> >> the more mature ones. Users would still be able to continue running the
> >> KDE3 version, as they do now. Is this reasonable, or is there an obvious
> >> flaw in this idea?
> >
> > Will the distributions package playground games ? This position sounds
> > like a message saying "not ready for distributuion"...
>
> Distros are free to do what they want, but in this case by moving the
> game to playground or unmaintained I think the message we are passing is
> that we do not feel that these games are up to the level of what we
> defined as desireable for KDE4, for one reason or another. Which is
> basically the truth :)
> I would very much prefer to have fewer games of higher quality and
> polish available with KDE 4.0, and gradually add newer ones (or rescued
> ones with improvements) in KDE 4.1, 4.2, 4.3. Specially for the games
> already available in KDE3, I do not see why we should hurry, as users
> can continue to run them as they are! I think this approach is
> consistent with the answers we get in the poll last November (quality
> over quantity.) But it is up to the review team to decide, of course.
I agree. What I wanted to say (and it is just a remark) is that an acceptable
(and even funny I feel :-) ) KDE3 game like ktron will likely be absent from
next versions of the distributions if they are in playground or unmaintained.
But it is also true that creating another category like "unported but still
valuable" is not an option.

Regards,

Kleag

> Regards,
> Mauricio Piacentini

KsirK - a turn-based strategy game for KDE
http://gna.org/projects/ksirk

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer