[Kde-games-devel] Game servers

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:53:45 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 20:28, Josef Spillner wrote:
> What is probably most interesting for you is how to differentiate between
> network play and non-network play in a way that doesn't affect the GUI
> negatively. We already discussed a bit whether menu items should be greyed
> out (disabled) or be hidden in cases of not being applicable.
> Then there's also the chance of breaking network connections, which must be
> tested carefully - i.e. the game shouldn't simply abort, but do something
> meaningful.
>
> In terms of responsiveness, it is always wise to already start animations
> before the server confirms a move. If local move validation is possible, it
> should be used, but the server should be able to override it.
>
> That's about it from what I can think of. There's still a lot of GUI work
> to do for GGZ integration. From what I understand, the chat dialogue in
> libkdegames is written in a way that it can be used on other chat systems.
> Since in GGZ there's room chat and table chat, the latter one would use the
> dialog for in-game chat. I haven't had the time to look into it yet.
Ok, thanks for outlining all this. I'll think of this as soon as I get my
hands on kreversi code :-). I'm updating my checkout too...

> Evil KMail. The documents were tutorials, and I wish we had good list
> archives. I'm going to upload them somewhere and ping you about the
> location.
That'd be nice! As I'm not very frequent guest on IRC, could you post those
links to this thread (or mail me directly)?

Or if I'll find time, I'll try to search archives...

> > Also I've seen you modified some of kreversi classes to put in GGZ
> > support, but from what I've seen I guess that was just a beginning?
> > ;-)
>
> Yes, it works up to the handshake, but then sending the moves doesn't reuse
> the code which shuffles all chips, and end-of-game isn't handled at all.
> I'm sure that it could be solved with 1-2 hours of hacking but I haven't
> found the time yet. Or maybe someone should just force me to do it - at
> least I'm upgrading the SVN checkout at the moment and then try to get into
> it again :)
Same here :-)

Dmitry.