[Kde-games-devel] Status of games in SVN

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Tue Apr 10 18:08:59 CEST 2007

Hi, people. I was playing each game in our module yesterday and earlier
today, to pick which ones I am going to talk about and show at FISL.
Given the fact that our review team will meet soon (maybe next week?) to
evaluate the games, I thought it could be nice to post my findings to
the list, so the maintainers can comment on them, see if they are
correct, or maybe tell me how to fix the ones I could not play.
Just for the record, the system I used for this testing has only kdelibs
and kdegames, current version as of 1 hour ago.

---------

atlantik: retrieves the server list and attempts to connect to the
server, but the game never starts. Not playable. Not converted to SVG,
no themes.

kasteroids: playable as long as you do not click on the game window,
otherwise the game freezes. Game window is not scalable or resizable, no
themes, not converted to SVG.

katomic: works fine, SVG implemented, game window resizable. Some work
still needed in loadable theme support and the molecule preview window.
Ready for usability review.

kbackgammon: partially playable (40%?). Game freezes when configure menu
option is selected, seems to still have Qt3Support dependancies. No SVG
or loadable theme support.

kbattleship: partially playable (50%?). Attempting to connect to a LAN
server (or start a server) causes a segfault. Attempting to start a
single player game does not make it crash, but there are errors
(incorrect ship type) and the ship graphics are garbled, but it is
possible to play. Game window and elements are not scalable yet, no
theme support.

kblackbox: works fine, SVG implemented, game window and elements
resizable. Minor work needed for loadable theme support. Ready for
usability review.

kbounce: works fine, SVG implemented, game window and elements
resizable. Minor work needed for loadable theme support. Ready for
usability review.

kenolaba: seems to be the same as the KDE3 version, no SVG support, no
themes. Works partially (80%??), network play apparently not active.
Game window and elements were already scalable in KDE3, using png graphics.

kfouleggs, klickety, ksirtet, libksirtet: games not playable (pieces do
not drop). klickety works if the window is not resized, otherwise mouse
clicks are not registered correctly. Initial work on resizing
implemented. No SVG and no themes.

kgoldrunner: works fine, SVG implemented, game window and elements
resizable. Theme support in menus, maybe needs to be integrated in the
configuration dialogs. Ready for usability review.

kjumpingcube: works fine. Game window resizable using QPainter elements,
same as in KDE3. No SVG. No support for loadable themes. Looks and plays
the same as the KDE3 version, minus the blinking effect.

klines: works fine. No SVG support, or SVG artwork: game window and
elements resizable using the older png elements. No theme support.

kmahjongg: works fine, SVG implemented, game window and elements
resizable. Configurable tilesets and backgrounds implemented. Minor work
needed for loading layouts. Editor improvements still pending. Ready for
usability review.

kmines: works fine. SVG implemented. Game window and elements resizable.
Minor work needed for loadable theme support and possible integration of
new KGameLCD-classes.

knetwalk: works fine. SVG implemented, game window and elements
resizable. Minor work needed for loadable theme support. Ready for
usability review.

kolf: appears to work fine at initial levels (need larger review). SVG
implemented. Game window and elements do not work correctly when
resized. Minor work needed for loadable theme support. Ready for
usability review.

konquest: need help determining how well it is working :) A game can be
started, and initial actions are working correctly. SVG implemented.
Game window and elements resize, but layout needs some adjustments. No
loadable theme support.

kpat: works fine, some crashing in certain game types. SVG implements,
game window and elements resizable. No UI support for loading cardsets
yet (press F9 to switch to a random one for now.) Background is missing
in a system with only kdelibs+kdegames. Ready for usability review.

kpoker: not playable. Game is apparently started, but no cards are
shown. No SVG support or themes.

kreversi: not playable right now, maybe due to GGZ changes? Game starts,
but local play is not working (GGZDEBUG message in console.) SVG
implemented, window and elements resizable. Minor work needed for
loadable theme support, and background implementation. Probably needs
GGZ UI or configuration option, otherwise ready to review when
GGZ-changes are reverted.

ksame: not playable in the last month. Game enters a resize loop and
needs to be killed. SVG and resizing is implemented and was working
correctly back in January. Work needed for loadable theme support.

kshisen: works fine, SVG implemented, game window and elements
resizable. Configurable tilesets and backgrounds implemented. Ready for
usability review.

ksnake: works fine. Game window resizable using bitmap graphics, same as
in KDE3. No SVG. No support for loadable themes yet. Looks and plays the
same as the KDE3 version.

ksokoban: not playable, crashes at startup. Apparently has no SVG support.

kspaceduel: need help determining how well it is working, appears to be
fine :) A game can be started, and initial actions are working
correctly. No SVG elements. Game window and elements resize, but layout
needs some adjustments. No loadable theme support.

ksquares: works fine. Vectorial graphics implemented, game window and
elements resizable. Loadable SVG themes probably not applicable, but
could be nice to have some more color configuration options (background,
for accessibility reasons.) Ready for usability review.

ktron: works fine. Game window resizable using bitmap graphics, same as
in KDE3. No SVG. No support for loadable themes yet (not needed?). Looks
and plays the same as the KDE3 version.

ktuberling: works fine, with a few graphical glitches when dragging
elements. No SVG. Game window and elements not resizable. Looks and
plays the same as the KDE3 version (other than the graphical glitches
mentioned.)

kwin4: works fine for human X human games, AI is not playing right now
(was working correctly last month.) SVG implemented, game window and
elements resizable. Minor work needed for loadable theme support. Ready
for usability review after AI regression is fixed.

-----

Best regards,
Mauricio Piacentini