[Kde-games-devel] Game servers

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue Apr 10 10:01:05 CEST 2007

Hi,

Some people tricked me into creating a server-side equivalent of the kggzmod
library. There's already plain ggzdmod (for C programmers) and ggzdmod++ (for
C++ programmers), but I'm well aware of the advantages of having a Qt-style
API on both sides, so kggzdmod is born.

It's not fully working yet, but I'm already asking about whether there was any
decision already about where to place game servers in SVN. What is important
for server hosters is that servers can be compiled with as little
dependencies as possible. To get access to improvements fast, installing from
source is often mandatory, even on production systems.
Basing all servers on pure Qt, without kdelibs+kdesupport+whatnot
requirements, seems like a good idea to me, even though I'm not religiously
attached to it and will listen to what game server developers want.
The K-dependency of kggzmod on the client side is mostly kDebug which we don't
use anyway in GGZ since all debug output goes to the GGZ server where we have
policies of per-game/per-room/... debugging.

Josef

P.S. And I will miss the next IRC meeting again, but now that dimsuz is back I
think we can achieve some progress on KReversi again, hm? For reversi we
already have a server, so the above is unrelated.