[Kde-games-devel] KSnake development for KDE 4.

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 7 08:18:23 CEST 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 01:00 pm, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Luka Marinko wrote:
> > from KAtomic:
> > feld_03=..###########..
> > feld_04=..#..#......#..
> > etc.
> >
> Hmm... that would be easy to make with a text editor, but it's very
> inefficient. (Actually some form of RLE is probably best if you have to
> home-brew it, otherwise just use zlib.)

KGoldrunner also uses something like that, 1 byte per tile and a few hundred
bytes per level.  It's not all that inefficient compared to all other things.

> Hmm, here's a thought. A few years back I wrote a Pacman clone. The way
> I wrote the level data was by adding a built-in level editor to the
> program. How hard would it be to do something like that, do you think?

KGr has an editor of course and it was not that hard to write.  I used
it to copy, by hand, all the levels my son composed on the Apple II
years ago.  The code got a bit large and tedious though when I included
stuff to resequence levels and copy them between games.

> (Say, there is no K-Man yet, is there? Maybe I should port mine... :-))

Why not ... :-)  The more the merrier, I say!

All the best, Ian W.