[Kde-games-devel] KSnake development for KDE 4.

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 7 05:00:02 CEST 2007

Luka Marinko wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I don't know how KAtomic stores them, but how would you store what are
>> effectively 1bpp raster images in SVG (that would make this purposeful)?
>> Or would this allow custom level graphics?
>
> from KAtomic:
> feld_03=..###########..
> feld_04=..#..#......#..
> feld_05=..#.3#......#..
> feld_06=..#.##......#..
> feld_07=..#.#..#.####..
> feld_08=..#....#.2..#..
> feld_09=..###.#.....#..
> feld_10=..#1....#...#..
> feld_11=..###########..

Hmm... that would be easy to make with a text editor, but it's very
inefficient. (Actually some form of RLE is probably best if you have to
home-brew it, otherwise just use zlib.)

Hmm, here's a thought. A few years back I wrote a Pacman clone. The way
I wrote the level data was by adding a built-in level editor to the
program. How hard would it be to do something like that, do you think?

(Say, there is no K-Man yet, is there? Maybe I should port mine... :-))

>> Nibbles-QB used for() loops, if you want to be REALY retro you could
>> store levels via scripts that create the level... but I think nostalgia
>> would be the /only/ advantage to that. ;-)
>
> Basic levels can be simple to do in for loops, but more advanced
> levels, could be a pain. Not really sure it's worth it.

"but I think nostalgia would be the /only/ advantage to that"...
followed by a wink, which was the hint that I was kidding. :-) (Well,
not about how QB did things, but that we should do it in KDE.)

> hmm maybe we could have retro style theme (I used to play Nibles on
> yellow/black monitor :) )

That would be cool, although "nostalgia" for me means ff6060 walls,
000080 background, and ffff60 for player 1. Or you could do the Apple II
version with Real Phosphor Effects. :-)

>> I would like to multi player support I think. At least for a second
>> player. It would be REALLY cool if you could support some kind of
>> network play, but at least two people at one keyboard would be nice.
>
> I was thinking about it as well, I just didn't want to jump to
> quickly. What i have in mind is _not_ having both players on same
> board, instead each one is in its own board, but actions (stuff you
> pick up) can affect your opponent. This means more that one type of
> apple(object).

Hmm... I'd still want both-on-same-board (any reason that's any harder
than AI snakes?), but your idea sounds really cool also. More
competitive, less cooperative. (In fact, maybe you could call them
"coop" and "versus" modes?)

--
Mathew
(sorry, .sig file is on the other computer)