[Kde-games-devel] KDE/kdegames/kgoldrunner

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 7 05:45:11 CEST 2007

Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Another item is maybe a "dead" position or animated sequence for the
> runner. Sometimes the enemies catch him in midair, or the runner runs
> down in a hole occupied by the enemy. At this time the runner only
> freezes in place when it dies, so the player sometimes takes a while to
> understand what happened. If we switched to a "dead" animation frame the
> feedback would be more immediate.

Ok, I have to ask, has anyone else ever played Sierra's Lode Runner? It
has (for its time) great graphics with several themes and a number of
changes from the original. The enemies were monks and the player was an
India-Jones-type with a laser pistol for the "digging". It also added
some really great gameplay elements, like a wall that you could hide in
and let the monks run past, and several varieties of traps. Oh, and then
there's the "nighttime" mode. <evil grin>
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lode_Runner:_The_Legend_Returns)

What's the point? Well, IIRC when the monks caught you, there was an
animation of the player getting bludgeoned. :-) (Well... basically they
pulled you down, turned their backs to the camera, and moved a lot, so
it wasn't really *that* explicit, but it sure looked nice.) You could do
it in maybe a dozen frames of animation (a few for them to turn on you,
and a few frames of loop for whatever they do after). Maybe the theme
could even define what happens?

--
Mathew
(sorry, .sig file is on the other computer)