[Kde-games-devel] KDE/kdegames/kgoldrunner

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 5 09:24:11 CEST 2007

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 01:24 pm, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> I think letting the artist draw the variations opens up opportunities
> for different solutions, tied to the theme. Maybe someone writes an
> underwater-type theme, and in this case the bricks could disappear as
> little bubbles, or any other crazy idea like that.

Good point.  I will set the brick-blaster idea aside for now.

> In the case of the "computer world" theme Johann was imagining we
> could have the bricks disappearing with a static blast, and materializing
> again after the time elapses.

You mean the animation frames, brick_1 to brick_9, would be all blank?
That might have gameplay problems in some levels, where you have to
wait for a brick to re-form just as you dig another one.  Even the fraction
of a second "cue" of the brick starting to reappear might be needed
sub-consciously by the player.  See Challenge, level 15, Hair's Breadth
Timing, for a particularly tricky example ... ;-)

> What I think we can focus on is maybe allow more types of bricks and
> concretes to be used for the playfield, so the artist will provide maybe
> 5 variations of bricks and 5 concretes, and there will be an algorithm
> in the code that combines these when assembling the level, depending on
> the proximity of stairs and other elements. This is relatively easy to
> implement for the artist, at least compared with the 108 frames
> necessary for the runners! And it would instantly provide a richer
> playfield, visually. I know we talked about this briefly before, just
> something to keep in mind.

I like that idea, but I don't think I'll be able to take it on before June,
because I have non-KDE commitments to fulfil.  BTW, 5 bricks with 9
blasting frames each makes for 45 extra frames, so it would be getting
up there ... unless you use some kind of set of 9 masks for every brick.

> Another item is maybe a "dead" position or animated sequence for the
> runner. Sometimes the enemies catch him in midair ...

That's an excellent idea.  At present there is a 1.5 second timer setup called
finalBreath, to let you see how you died before the level is re-loaded.  It
would be "dead" easy to switch to frame 37 for that time.

In the original game there was a short animation.  A circle of darkness closed
in from the corners of the screen and then opened up again to show the new
level - or the start position of the level you were on.  I've never managed to
work out how to do that in Qt graphics.

> Thank you for maintaining the game alive, bug fixes and hundreds of levels.

Well you were the one who kept it alive through the port to KDE4 and the
replacement of QCanvas, Mauricio, not to mention the the conversion to SVG.
I will never forget that ... :-)

Talking of levels, wait till you see what's coming ... heh, heh, heh ... ;-)

All the best, Ian W.