[Kde-games-devel] Highscore classes

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 2 01:08:13 CEST 2007

Matt Williams wrote:
> While trying to implement highscores in KSquares and after a discussion on
> #kdegames I have realised that the KExtHighscore implementation currently in
> place is seemingly overengineered and is too much of an obstacle for simple
> games. I believe that the classes are currently unmaintained and frankly
> no-one knows how it all works.
>
> I have decided to start work no a simple, lightweight highscore class set to
> make everyone's life a nicer and better place :)
>
> All of those out there who are currently using K(Ext)Highscore and even those
> who aren't but want to implement a highscore table, I'd like to hear what
> features you need/want.

I am (sort-of*) working on a logic game, where I don't think losses
should be recorded (a "loss" would be either giving up or starting a
game and deciding 30 seconds in you don't want to finish it, although in
one mode a mis-click can make you lose, so...) and there is no opponent.
But there *are* "hints". Asking for a hint affects your completion time
(the only score you get), but might be useful to track separately. It
also has different board sizes (5x5, 6x6, 7x7 and 8x8) that need to be
tracked separately.

(It's very low on my priority list, won't make KDE4, etc., but I'm not
giving up on it yet!)

Oh, and there should be a way to get "leader boards" via API so that the
game can choose how to display scores. Think "demo mode".

--
Mathew
(sorry, .sig file is on the other computer)