[Kde-games-devel] aKademy 2006 BoF session ideas

mauricio at tabuleiro.com mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Tue Sep 26 20:51:18 CEST 2006

> What happens if we eat a coin but don't update the status bar to
> keep score (disable signal)?  Do we still get the full re-draw?

Yes, the statusbar was my main suspect, but it is not the source of the
issue. If you want to see it, build SVN (there is one other optimization I
commited today), make && make install, open a Konsole windows and

export QT_FLUSH_PAINT=1
kgoldrunner

Every time you eat a coin or dig you will get a full repaint. You can try
disabling the statusbar, but it will be there yet, so do not bother with
it. I have traced it to the setPixmap() call in setTile. It occurs on both
QGV and the light canvas class. I will try to find the source of it
tomorrow after the BoF, but if you (or Maurizio) have some free time
please try the test outlined above. You can see it even in level 1. Just
stay in place, and click the mouse to dig (left or right). You will get
one full repaint for each dig stage. I confirmed that only one setTile is
being called.

Maurizio, if you have time, could you use the technique above and check if
Pixmap->setPixmap() is not triggering a full redraw of the canvas, and not
only the lastrect and the new one, just to be sure? I will investigate it
myself as well later when I am more rested.

Regards,
Mauricio