[Kde-games-devel] KReversi opening play rules

Dennis P dennis_p at quicknet.nl
Wed Sep 20 19:56:49 CEST 2006

Op woensdag 20 september 2006 18:39, schreef Inge Wallin:
> Anybody who has played more than a little Reversi before and has read some
> opening theory will get very annoyed if there isn't a quick way to start a
> standard game.

Indeed those who have committed to memorizing Othello strategies will be
frustrated when the computer starts a game of reversi instead of Othello.

That does not mean we should limit the reversi game to the Othello start
position by default. I hope that the Kreversi interface is kept clean and
does not become as intimidating as Go game managers. For example the 'moves
history box' recently introduced should not be displayed by default, it makes
the game look intimidating even thought it is an easy game where beginners
can start playing without having to learn anything in advance.

But I respect your standpoint and it can easily be avoided without resorting
to adding another setting.

	When the two chips are placed inside the center 4 square postions
	(only two legal options there) Kreversi will assume the user wants the
	Othello start positions and also places its two chips inside the 4 square
	box.

and when the computer starts:

	When the previous user started game did not start with chips outside the
	Othello box Kreversi will assume the user wants to play Othello again and
	places its two chips in the legal Othello starting position.

	It is now up to the user to complete the Othello set up or opt for a playable
	reversi set up.

The only reason we play Othello today is because the board manufacturer did
not want to explain all the dead end silly opening moves of reversi which
should be avoided, as that would reduce customer satisfaction. But my opening
play also avoids the reversi pitfalls and sets you up with a playable game.
The computer keeps you from having to read these rules, simply start placing
chips on the board where you are allowed.

Greetings,
Dennis