[Kde-games-devel] kreversi_rewrite is almost finished... Please review.

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 23:18:03 CEST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 00:50, Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Thursday 07 September 2006 17.36, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 September 2006 16:43, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > > Heh, this is the one thing that I had already done.
> > >
> > :-) Than I done that again :-). Tested my programming skill, you know ;).
> >
> > Btw, I think now I should call myself maintainer of kreversi, as it
> > contains a lot of my code which I (surprisingly) happen to know :).
> > I hope you don't mind? ;)
>
> Well, writing code doesn't make you the maintainer, but asking me nicely
> might.  :-)
Oops... Of course ;).

> Seriously, sure you are from now on the kreversi maintainer.
Ta-da-da :). Great!

> > > The engine was totally
> > > decoupled from the view and only communicated through signals and
> > > slots. Actually I don't think you can talk about a graphical engine at
> > > all, since the engine is the AI, at least that's the terminology that
> > > is used in most chess programming and other similar games.
> >
> > Yes, you're right here. I used wrong terminology. Ah, let's just forget
> > it :-).
>
> Well, I won't hold it against you, but I think we should use the same
> terminology as the rest of the game programming world.
Well, I was joking. Of course, we should. In this way it'll be easier to
understand eachother ;).

> I think you should do as you like.  I can agree with some people when they
> say that KDE has too many options.  This is definitely such a case.
Well, than I think I'll just leave it as it is now (i.e. no option) and if a
request from user(s) will  be made, I'll just add this feature.
All in all it's already in the code and can be easily enabled.

> I didn't implement that feature and I think that playing white by starting
> a game as black and then switch sides sucks badly.  The right way would be
> to implement a "start game" dialog where the user chooses if a human or an
> engine (and which strength) play each side.
Yes, I think you're absolutely right here.
As another option it can go in config dialog instead of start dialog as "start
dialog" can quicly became annoying if you play often. At least for me.

> You could get some inspiration from the very nice gnome program Quarry.  I
> really think you should download it and see how they do it. It's at
> http://home.gna.org/quarry/.
Thanks! I'll have a look!

Cheers, Dmitry.