[Kde-games-devel] kreversi_rewrite is almost finished... Please review.

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Thu Sep 7 14:43:02 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 22.51, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> On Thursday 07 September 2006 00:14, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Well, just tell the exciting new features that rewrite will give us then
> > ;-)
>
> He-he :).
> The most exciting feature is hidden from user :).
> And it is: kreversi is using QGraphicsView framework.
> What user will actually see is the addition of the "Demo" mode, i.e. he/she
> can see the computer vs computer battles now :).
> Also I plan to implement player vs player game (I found a corresponding
> wish). And it has no configuration dialog - I moved most options to
> KSelectActions in Settings menu. Do you know is it ok from usability point
> of view?
>
> Other than that it looks like good-old kreversi :).
>
> Another thing is that I tried to abstract game process from it's graphical
> representation as much as possible. This fact can be used in future to
> write some more graphical "engines". OpenGL for example. Or QPainter-based
> if that makes sence.

Heh, this is the one thing that I had already done.  The engine was totally
decoupled from the view and only communicated through signals and slots.
Actually I don't think you can talk about a graphical engine at all, since
the engine is the AI, at least that's the terminology that is used in most
chess programming and other similar games.

	-Inge

> That said I haven't tried to see how abstract it actually is now (although
> it _seems_ quite abstract to me). I think the best way to figure this out
> is to write simple QPainter based engine to find possible cornerstones :).
>
> Cheers,
> Dmitry.

Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |
inge at lysator.liu.se       |       life becomes meaningless."                |
                          | Geoffrey James: The Tao of Programming.         |