[Kde-games-devel] kreversi_rewrite is almost finished...

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 00:36:18 CEST 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 01:27, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> > And it is: kreversi is using QGraphicsView framework.
>
> And how is it working out for you? I understand the graphic requirements
> are not heavy, so it is probably ok.
Yes. It is ok. Running smoothly.
Well, to be honest, maybe a QGV is an overkill for kreversi and simple
QPainter-based implementation will do, but oh well, I'm learning new
technology and it seems to do what I want and the coding process is
straightforward. Performance is good, coding is enjoyable, what else
needed? :)

> In KGoldrunner we could not get acceptable (and linear) performance yet,
> and I can see the Qt4.2 release coming closer and this is still not
> fixed. Hopefully our feedback on qt4-preview will be considered.
Yes, I hope. You provided quite a useful piece of feedback IMO.

> While we wait for a resolution, I put my plans of porting KMahjongg
> drawing to QGV on hold. I am going to wait one or two weeks (or Qt4.2
> final), and if this performance issue is not addressed I will probably
> use QPainter directly for both KMahjongg and KGoldrunner.
Uh. I can imaging how BIG will be that change to KGoldrunner :).

> To be honest, in KMahjongg I do not think we will have much trouble with
> QGV due to the relatively stillness of the pieces :) But KGoldrunner
> seems to reveal the worst case scenarios in the current QGV
> implementation, so it looks like we will have to port the drawing code
> again if nothing changes...
Let's hope it will :).

Dmitry.