[Kde-games-devel] Tileset storage location and KNewStuff

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Sep 1 13:51:41 CEST 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:32:38 -0300
> From: Mauricio Piacentini <mauricio at tabuleiro.com>
> To: KDE games development <kde-games-devel at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: [Kde-games-devel] Tileset storage location and KNewStuff
>
> > why not as follows:
> >
> > /usr/share/apps/kdegames/common/mahjongg/tilesets
> > /usr/share/apps/kdegames/common/mahjongg/backgrounds
>
> Seems sensible to me, and can be used in the future for other shared
> artwork and resources needed by applications in the kdegames module. I
> will ask around (IRC) and get more feedback on this.
>
> > Yes, the "real" mahjong is a 4 player game.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong

If you look at the Mahjong Solitare Talk page you will see I removed a
reference to the latest Microsoft vapourware, it seems like Vista might
include a Mahjongg game of their own.

> > Gnome and KDE should probably be describing their games Mahjong
> > solitaire.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong_solitaire
> > I am reminded that it can also be a two player game.
>
> Yes, there are variations like Dragon Slayer and two player puzzles. But
> all of these are really puzzle games that use mahjong tiles, not real
> mahjong. The first one I played was Shanghai from Activision, for the
> Macintosh. But I see now in wikipedia that the concept (for computer
> games) goes back to at least 71.
>
> Maybe we should rectify this for KDE4? We maintain the module name as
> kmahjongg (directories, resources) for historical reasons,

Definately don't want to touch the directory structure.

> but we add Solitaire to the title bar. And update the description to
> "Mahjongg Solitaire", insted of "Mahjongg-like tile game".

Hard to know what is best, "Mahjongg like" isn't a very helpful
description unless you already know what the other "real" Mahjongg is in
which case you probably know about Majongg solitaire.  A bit of both might
work "Mahjongg Solitaire, matching tiles game".

It might be worth changing the lable just to improve the description.
After recent round of changes here is what Gnome is/will be using:
"mahjongg	Dismantle a pile of tiles by removing matching pairs "
http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityTeam/Menu

Since there doesn't seem to be any popular real mahjongg game for KDE
there isn't much benefit to changing the name/lables so it might be
better/easier to leave well enough alone until someone asks for it?

(Great to see someone working on KMahjongg.  I am (not very) quiety hoping
you might have plans to work on the level editor, maybe even make larger
level sizes possible so I can make another attempt at copying layouts I
have seen in other Mahjongg games but that KMahjongg could not support.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan