[Kde-games-devel] KDE Legacy Entertainment

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Wed Oct 25 19:52:52 CEST 2006

Martin Heni wrote:
 > Btw dont get me wrong: The goal should be to update the stuff but I
am not
 > sure your list is the right priority. E.g. I'd very much prefer a
game with a
 > good "fun factor" over "I can quit and restart the game". Actually
I'd prefer
 > this a lot ;-)

I agree with Martin. And I also agree with Dennis :) The data in the
survey can be twisted (as all data can) to justify almost any decision
:) And we must remember it is not final yet, and some issues will only
be more clear when we have a chance to work with the final data set. As
an example, the current ratings only have meaning if you also consider
how many people rated each game, and this data is not yet nicely
tabulated and organized. This is one of the reasons I proposed the IRC
meeting next week, so we all can spend one hour looking at the final
data and trying to make sense out of it. You see that some answers are
apparently contraditory, and this is expected. The number 2 most desired
feature is "more game types", and at the same time the majority of
people voted for "fewer and better games". :)

As someone once said, asking people what they want and going by the
average answer is usually the best way to produce a mediocre product.
But still, this is a valid resource, it can be used to validate what you
have already proposed. I almost bet that the reason most people answered
that they wanted better looking games is because we are ALREADY working
on this, and have shown preliminary results (kpat and kmahjongg). So
people saw it, and liked it.

I also believe there should be a strong reason for us to remove a game,
since some distros already cherry-pick which ones to include. But if a
game is not rated highly AND is not ported to KDE4 AND has poor graphics
AND no one is willing to maintain it anymore, then I would probably
support moving it to a kdegames-legacy collection. The idea presented by
Dennis has some very good points: the way we present our actions really
reflects on the results perceived by the community. If we say "we moved
these older games to some unmaintained oldies package" it will probably
sound bad. But we also have an unique chance now: KDE4 is a new major
release, so in theory we are not "removing" anything just yet. Some
reorganization of the package seems in line with a major upgrade, and
the idea of more than a single monolithic games package seems to be popular.

I am most concerned on how to improve games, actually. The only clear
data I can see at this partial stage is that the feature that people
find more important right now for KDE4 is to improve the graphics and
sound. Fortunately, this is what we are already doing, and it is not too
difficult as well. I see that Denis also lists this as one of his top
priorities, so apparently it is something we all agree on so far!

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini