[Kde-games-devel] KDE Legacy Entertainment

Dennis P dennis_p at quicknet.nl
Wed Oct 25 17:37:06 CEST 2006

The preliminary results seem to indicate a call for quality over quantity. But
people fear that their favorite game will be left behind and unplayable,
despite realizing it does not make KDE 4 look good. People seem to feel torn
between cozy knowns and presentable wants. Here are my thoughts on a
solution.

To avoid insulting any maintainers by feeling sidetracked I suggest we rename
the entire collection, 'old stuff' but with a cool name. Distros will
unlikely pick these games as to be supplied by default but whoever heard of
or played the games of KDE 3 will have quick access to them in KDE 4.

**example**
Legacy Entertainment
The infamous games and entertainment meta package, enjoyable, addictive and
fun. 10 years of KDE history. Some packages are in need of an overhaul others
require only updated graphics or gameplay improvements, many are up-to-date.
**example**

Legacy games can also advance to become featured in the fresh new KDE 4 games
section. When is up to the community consent of KDE games developers and
artists.

I for example would suggest when:
1 graphics are new millennium: smooth edges, SVG like shine, preferably has
SVG sources.
2 it is a popular desktop game: playtime of 1 to 5 minutes or a 'quit'
and 'continue on restart' default. Preferably uses KDE 4 style color scheme.

So kmahjongg ported to KDE 4 would be in the Legacy Entertainment collection
like all current games but as soon as its cool SVG tile set is working it is
welcomed to join the games collection of KDE 4 also.

Dennis P