[Kde-games-devel] Kreversi and general suggestions for board games (aKademy notes)

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 10:24:13 CEST 2006

Hi, Mauricio!
2006/10/5, Mauricio Piacentini <mauricio at tabuleiro.com>:
> a) Make it possible to use a plain color for background (possibly dark
> green as default)
check.

> b) Maybe alter the default board to use green, as most reversi games are
> played on green felt tables.
You mean adjust svg to be more "greenish"?

> c) Have a look at other reversi implementation, like quarry, to examine
> the layout of the move list
> http://home.gna.org/quarry/
Yes, Inge already told me about this. Although ATM I had only brief
look, so I should investigate further.

> d) Make it possible to click on the move list and go back to that
> position. (note by Mauricio: you can do this for example in KBoard, code
> in playground.)
I thinked about that as I saw corresponding wish on b-k-o.
That'll involve some code reorganizing (i.e. it's not quite trivial),
but I surely will consider adding this feature.

> e) One step further: make it possible to branch or create another move
> tree when you go back in time, and maybe record all trees, for
> comparison of possible outcomes. See for example
> http://home.gna.org/quarry/0.1.16-editing-go.png for a sample of this
> using go, in quarry.
I'll look into this, thanks.

> f) Maybe use the SGF file format for loading and saving of board games?
> http://www.red-bean.com/sgf/.
Then I think it makes sense to implement some common class to perform
reading/writing from/to sgf and put it into libkdegames. Or there's
one already somewhere?
Currently I have limited 'net connection here, so I'll investigate
more when I get home :).

> A best option imo would be a graphical svg sprite: it could be
> a dot over the chip for the last move for example, and an X (or another
> symbol) to mark the possible new ones, like you can see for example in
> http://knaan.com/cezebra/cezebra.htm . If you want I can send you a
> temporary version, and Johann or another artist can tweak it later.
I'd love to have something to begin with :-).

> This way you avoid the issue of having to get a pixel-perfect alignment,
> not possible on some scaling sizes, due to antialiasing artifacts. And
> as a bonus it will be easier to accomodate accessibility needs in the
> future. Using just colors is difficult for some users, due to people
> being color blind, or not able to really distinguish between different
> tones of close colors. Ideally we will need to have a monochrome/black
> and white version of all games, and be able to customize it using the
> foreground/background colors chosen by the user, specifically for users
> that need high contrast themes due to limitations in sight.
Yes, that are all good points, I completely agree.

Thanks,
Dmitry.