[Kde-games-devel] Kolf Graphics Question

Paul Broadbent dbdkmezz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 00:01:53 CET 2006

Hi,
My work on Kolf has been going well, I've now ported all the graphics to QGV
and have fixed a number of the really big bugs that resulted from that change
and the game is playable again now. However, I'm not sure what to do about
the graphics to make it look a bit better.

I've been thinking about using SVG graphics, but I'm not really sure how it'd
work with Kolf. Things like the ball and holes would be fairly
straightforward, but I can't see how puddles and sand would work. Currently
they are ellipses using a pixmap as their texture, so I can't just have a
water svg, since the water ellipses can be in any shape or size.

I can achieve scalability simply by using QGraphicsView::scale so use of SVG
graphics isn't essential. However, the current graphics in kolf are greatly
inferior to those used by the games that have had the SVG makeover. Katomic,
kmahjongg, ksame and kreversi all look absolutely amazing, and alonside them
kolf looks really dated. I think kolf could do with a bit of an "oxygen"
style look, but I'm just not sure how. I've been playing around with a few
ideas, but not really got anywhere yet. Any ideas? Is there a way to get
around my problem with the puddles and sand being of irregular sizes?
Does it matter if I don't use SVG at all?

Also I'm not sure at what stage I should be uploading my work to the CVS. At
the moment I don't really feel that the code is in a fit state since it is
still in a transition stage on the way to fully working with QGV. There are
currently far more bugs in my version than in the one currently on the CVS.
So is it OK if I keep working on my local copy without uploading to CVS until
I'm happy with what I've done, or should I be regularly uploading to CVS?
Since no-one else is working on Kolf, does it really matter?

Thanks, and thanks for all the replies to my last thread :)

Paul Broadbent