[Kde-games-devel] KSame status

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Mon Nov 13 16:08:17 CET 2006

Henrique Pinto wrote:
> I'd appreciate if anybody could test it and give suggestions/bug reports.
> Resizing the window and removing stones from the board seems a little bit
> slow currently, but I'll believe this is caused by me deleting and creating
> a large number of QGraphicsItems when these operations happen -- I'll fix
> this soon.

Hi, Henrique. The version I saw already has the newer graphics (minus
background) by Johann, checked a few hours ago. It is so much better
looking than the old version, it almost looks like a different game. And
imo resizing speed is ok as it is.

My only suggestion is, of course, a not-so-simple one... The one feature
I miss in KSame is better feedback when pieces are removed, so you can
see exactly what is happening with the board. This helps people
understand the game better as well (well, it is not that complex, but...)
To see what I mean by this, launch klickety and remove a group. I am
talking about the small animation that occurs after you click. It is ok
imo to make the clicked balls vanish immediately, but I miss the little
animation showing how the other elements fall or get squeezed to the
side when something gets removed. As it is right now sometimes it just
seems that balls have "jumped" from one place to another, depending on
the shape of the group removed, and sometimes it is not exactly clear
how they ended up in a given location.
If you could somehow get this into KSame I believe it will enhance the
game experience greatly. Since you are now using QGV, maybe you could
borrow some code from katomic, which already has animations for the
atoms when they slide?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini

ps- if you have time, login to #kdegames or #kde-brasil one of these
days, I would like to talk to you about FISL 8, maybe we can do
something related to kdegames for it.