[Kde-games-devel] Updating AMOR

Andreas Beckermann b_mann at gmx.de
Mon May 22 20:51:54 CEST 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 20:36, Kleag wrote:
> Le Lundi 22 Mai 2006 20:22, Sean O'Brien a écrit :
> > I'm currently working on some more AMOR themes copied from the web and
> > the Windows program Neko98 (based on oneko).  I also would like to see
> > much of the code (or at least similar functionality) from Neko98 ported
> > to KDE and merged with the AMOR codebase.  I also think it would be wise
> > to include
>
> It seems (but I'm not a lawyer) that Neko98 is a freeware and not an open
> source program. So, for direct porting, there would probably be licensing
> issues. The same for graphics.

I agree. See below.

> Others, what's your opinion ?

A short look into
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/4173/neko98_4.zip reveals a
file "license.txt" that says:
  This program is totally unsupported FREEWARE [...]

So this program is freeware - but that file does not say anything else about
the license. This means you are allowed to copy it for free, nothing more. In
particular you are not allowed to modify the code and/or distribute any
modifications. Also you are not allowed to charge any money for a copy.

So unless there are some other statements somewhere, this program is
definitely incompatible with the GPL or pretty much any other open source
license - it simply is not free software.

And you are certainly not allowed (unless stated otherwise by the author
somewhere) to use any parts of that program in your own work.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer either.

> Kleag

CU
Andi