[Kde-games-devel] KGame/KPlayer API usability in kdegames

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Tue Jul 11 23:04:11 CEST 2006

Hello,

This message to kde-games-delvel :-) to signal that I also use
libkdegames/KGame for KsirK (see my signature) and that it was, thanks to it,
very easy to change KsirK into a fully network enabled game (while
maintaining the possibility of local games).
I also uses a lot the message passing API by implementing a kind of automaton
that handles messages received from other clients depending of the current
state of the game. Maybe this automaton class could be generalized to be used
by other games.

I must confess that I feel that the level of maintenance of libkdegames/kgame
is somewhat low (I don't criticize, I could help too!) and that there is very
few up to date documentation. In fact, without the mykgame-1.0 example by
Martin Heni I would not have been able to finish the port. And also, I had
very helpful answers from this list each time I asked.

I'd like to help more in KGame maintenance but I'm currently involved in too
much projects...

Finally, note that there was the beginning of a very similar thread just one
year ago: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-games-devel&m=111887101226235&w=2

Regards,

Kleag
Le Lundi 10 Juillet 2006 19:02, Dmitry Suzdalev a écrit :
> On Monday 10 July 2006 20:24, Josef Spillner wrote:
> > A lot of the "requirements engineering" towards Qt features could
> > probably need more input from game developers. Usually, during KDE
> > meetings (such as aKademy), there are very few games people. Personally,
> > I've eagerly awaited QGraphicsView but admittedly lacked the time to try
> > it out so far. If there's something missing, make sure to bring it to the
> > trolls' attention.
>
> Well, I started playing with it while trying to port KWin4 game from
> QCanvas to QGraphicsView.
> The only thing that striked me is this 'eventFilter-problem' which I
> briefly described in this thread.
>
> And I'm not sure whether this 'eventFilter' magic is really needed (and
> coolo called KGameMouseIO a 'weird concept' :) ) when implementing
> key/mouse input in games.
> Although, I must admit KGameIO idea is not the bad one, but how much is it
> used?
> In kwin4 only?
> Seems so...
>
> Cheers,
> Dmitry.

KsirK - a turn-based strategy game for KDE
http://gna.org/projects/ksirk

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://gna.org/projects/kgraphviewer