[Kde-games-devel] KGame/KPlayer API usability in kdegames

Dmitry Suzdalev dimsuz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 19:17:40 CEST 2006

Hi, Martin!

On Monday 10 July 2006 20:42, Martin Heni wrote:
> On Monday 10 July 2006 18:01, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> > At least I have difficulties in understanding those signals and slots
> > which write event data to QDataStream...
>
> A better documentation would not hurt. However, this applies to a lot of
> KDE/OSS stuff. Whoever wants to write documentation would be more than
> welcome.
I'm not that person at least now - when I don't understand the whole
picture ;).

> I think it is a good idea to collect information first before deleting
> general purpose classes....
Indeed.

> About kgame:
> 1. It does need adaptation for KDE 4.0. Several things are outdated like
> Andi mentioned or need to be adapted to the new Qt. Again, anybody
> volunteering is welcome!
> 2. I think it would be useful to generate more standardized game classes
> not less. Game APIs like DirectX are one of the reasons why games are
> written for other platforms nor KDE. So if someone really has time he could
> even extend the kde game API.
Well, that needs discussion I think. What the new API will look like, what it
should provide, how it should work...

You mean that DirectX has a special gaming subAPI? Or you're talking of a
whole DirectX library as a Game API?

> > I'm currently stuck at this.
> > KGameMouseIO isn't working with QGraphicsView (so is KGameKeyIO), but
> > other IOs work OK.
> > What should I do?
>
> I have also only briefly looked at the new Qt API but actually I thing the
> MouseIO should still work. You only need to derive your own GameView from
> QGameView (often a good idea anyway) and emit mouse signals in the
> corresponding mouse methods of QGameView. Connect this as usual to the
> KGameMouseIO and it should work.
QGameView? I can't find such class in Qt (4.2-TP1 here).
Maybe you're talking about QGraphicsView?
In this case, I'll repeat, no KGameMouseIO won't work.
Because it relies on the fact that it can intercept MouseEvents coming from
widget it operates on (it installs eventFilter on this widget), but
QGraphicsView doesn't propagate QMouseEvents to outside world.
So KGameMouseIO+QGraphicsView=not working :).
So is KGameKeyIO.

Cheers,
Dmitry.