[Kde-games-devel] Forwarding includes for libkdegames

Jaison Lee lee.jaison at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 02:31:41 CET 2006

> As you may gather, I find all this name-changing pointless and in the
> end counter-productive.  Programs have to be changed and re-compiled
> all over the landscape, for no real gain and for a loss of backward
> compatibility.  It's only half an hour here and there, but for one
> programmer those half-hours add up and each one interrupts
> genuine development work.  Multiplied by the number of developers,
> there is a lot of productive time being lost, I would suggest.

I'm not sure if this was their original intention, but for me the best
thing about the new includes is that they greatly increase the
accuracy of grepping through code for classnames. grepping for files
that use KApplication will find hits for "#include <KApplication>"
but not "#include <kapplication.h>". This helps for c files where the
variable declaration is in the h file, so KApplication would not hit
otherwise. It also makes a *BIG* difference in finding unused header
includes that get missed during code reorgs. These are found all over
the codebase and each of these is another open file handle and more
importantly an unneccessary dependency. For me, the new includes are
well worth the (IMHO quite small) effort. I don't recall anyone
suggesting we spell things backwards, but if you can come up with an
equally valid reason for it I'll consider that, too.

> If programming style is a concern, how about everybody put more
> comments in their code or improve their documentation? :-)

Now that is something I am always in favor of. ....especially when I
actually remember to do it. :)