[Kde-games-devel] Forwarding includes for libkdegames

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Dec 31 00:39:16 CET 2006

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:46 am, Matt Williams wrote:
> Thinking about this some more; In Qt, to include, say, QApplication you do
> 	#include <QApplication>
> but not
> 	#include <Qt/QApplication>
>
> So why, in KDE, do we have it set up so that you need <KDE/KApplication>.
> There's no other file called KApplication so there should be no ambiguity
> and so a simple
> 	#include <KApplication>
> should suffice.

Indeed ... thinking about it some more, why change any of this stuff?  If
<KApplication> is unique, then so is <kapplication.h> (a long-accepted
standard) ... unless there is a KAppliCation somewhere :-)  If you like
Hungarian notation, how about Polish?  We could have:

    #include <noitcAemaGdradnatSK> :-)

And we have managed very well with <stdio.h> for about 30 years.
Should it now become <StandardInputAndOutput> or perhaps
<tuptuOdnAtupnIdradnatS>? :-)

As you may gather, I find all this name-changing pointless and in the
end counter-productive.  Programs have to be changed and re-compiled
all over the landscape, for no real gain and for a loss of backward
compatibility.  It's only half an hour here and there, but for one
programmer those half-hours add up and each one interrupts
genuine development work.  Multiplied by the number of developers,
there is a lot of productive time being lost, I would suggest.

If programming style is a concern, how about everybody put more
comments in their code or improve their documentation? :-)

Harrumpphh, Ian W.