[Kde-games-devel] Tileset storage location and KNewStuff

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Thu Aug 31 15:32:38 CEST 2006

> why not as follows:
>
> /usr/share/apps/kdegames/common/mahjongg/tilesets
> /usr/share/apps/kdegames/common/mahjongg/backgrounds

Seems sensible to me, and can be used in the future for other shared
artwork and resources needed by applications in the kdegames module. I
will ask around (IRC) and get more feedback on this.

> Yes, the "real" mahjong is a 4 player game.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong
>
> Gnome and KDE should probably be describing their games Mahjong
> solitaire.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong_solitaire
> I am reminded that it can also be a two player game.

Yes, there are variations like Dragon Slayer and two player puzzles. But
all of these are really puzzle games that use mahjong tiles, not real
mahjong. The first one I played was Shanghai from Activision, for the
Macintosh. But I see now in wikipedia that the concept (for computer
games) goes back to at least 71.

Maybe we should rectify this for KDE4? We maintain the module name as
kmahjongg (directories, resources) for historical reasons, but we add
Solitaire to the title bar. And update the description to "Mahjongg
Solitaire", insted of "Mahjongg-like tile game".

Regards,
Mauricio