[Kde-games-devel] Support for i18n in data files

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Aug 25 00:07:51 CEST 2006

A Dijous 24 Agost 2006 09:11, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> Does anybody know if either KDE 4 or Qt 4 have any plans to
> support translation of strings in data files (i18n or tr)?
>
> Levels in games can contain titles and hints.  There may also
> be a future need for translation in picture galleries, files for
> context-dependent help, data-files for educational apps or
> in interactive tutorials on mainstream apps.
>
> At present, the only method of getting your strings translated
> seems to be to copy all your strings, without changing a single
> character, into a pseudo-program file (one that is not compiled
> and linked), which mainly contains repetitions of  the pattern
> 'dummy = i18n("yet_another_string");'.  Otherwise, for small
> numbers and sizes of strings, you can embed them in your
> program, as well as in the data, as KSokoban does.
>
> Any ideas? Ian W.

I'm CC'ing Contact Chusslove Illich as he seems to be the person in charge for
the new i18n structure along with Nicolas Goutte. AFAIK there is nothing
planned in this field, to make sure you don't do a typo in the "dummy"
department i did a small helper program in KGeography.

But if Chusslove could find us a better solution we will both be happy :-)

Chusslove, what you say?

Albert